China and Free Trade

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Tue Sep 4 09:45:47 PDT 2001

> Yeah Doug, what's strange, and it doesn't necessarily
> mean that the research is necessarilly bad, but the
> study was funded by, I believe the "US China Security
> Review Commission" Sounds like one of those
> anti-China groups.
======== The US Government in action < http://www.uscc.gov/ >

The list of people on the commission will have you reaching for zoloft. KB does solid research; what others do with it is shameful in many cases.

> Even if those numbers of job losses in the US were
> large, would that necessarily be a bad thing that
> other countries get the jobs? I don't feel very
> comfortable when people who argue against free trade
> do so in such chauvanistic garb like that study, but I
> find it interesting that the USCSRC, if they are
> indeed knee jerk China bashers (which I don't know too
> much about this org), it is funny that they would
> attack the free trade mantra as well to do so.
>
> =====
> Kevin Dean
> Buffalo, NY
> ICQ: 8616001
> http://www.yaysoft.com

============ The UN put out a report last year saying, globally, 500million new jobs needed to be created over the coming decade just to keep immiseration levels constant. Anyone think the lions share of those jobs are going to come from the Folks at Caterpillar, MSoft, Goldman Sachs, Komatsu, Hyundai etc.?

Anybody know of any studies that show global wage arbitrage by 'US' firms tracking the dollar over the last 25-30 years?

Ian