Victory To Iraq

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 4 15:56:38 PDT 2001

>This from a man who thinks we should debate whether or not Nato was
>a sufficient
>way to stop the impending genocide on the poor Kosovars- and thinks those who
>call the trial false are simply deluded, but thinks the media is somehow
>trustworthy on the subject of the trial of Milosevic.
>
>One need not be a Spart to realise that of course an Iraqi [victory]
>would be a good thing.

The High Stalinists had a kind of... Miltonian grandeur. They were stooges of a genocidal paranoid madman, yes. But Stalin was a madman who genuinely believed that his crimes were necessary steps on the road to Utopia.

However, we have fallen far when we willingly become stooges for Milosevic or for Saddam Hussein, who have no illusions about their regimes being the next stage in the evolution of human society...

It's as if the story of Faust is being retold, this time not as tragedy but as farce. To swear allegiance to Josef Stalin is to become a vassal of Satan himself. To swear allegiance to Milosevic or Saddam Hussein is to become a vassal of... Pazuzu...

Brad DeLong