Images of Palestinians in US media

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Wed Sep 5 13:40:04 PDT 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:

> Absolutely- I've defended Palestinian terrorism in the past as a useful
> strategy at points. I wasn't making a moral condemnation, just a strategic
> one. I think the Palestinians are gaining little through the present series
> of bombings and are losing quite a bit, so it's bad strategy. But then, I
> said the same about the Israeli repressions which have become increasingly
> counterproductive.

Edward Said agrees with you on this point. In the Palestian and Arab press over the years he has consistently opposed terrorism against civilians as counter-productive. He suggests modeling a Palestianian movement along the lines of the path the ANC followed in South Africa. (Note that the ANC was NOT non-violent, but it combined carefully targeted violence with Civil disobedience and really effective international organizing, and propaganda.)