Brazil gets 40% cut on AIDS drugs

Seth Ackerman sackerman at FAIR.org
Wed Sep 5 14:07:48 PDT 2001

Brad DeLong wrote:

> Andrei Shleifer would not be there, but if he were he would point out
> that the Soviet Union poured a huge amount into research and
> development and got very little out of it, largely because of
> bureaucratic meddling. He would say that the only area in which
> Soviet science lived up to its potential was higher math and
> mathematical physics--and that only because none of the bureaucrats
> could understand anything other than that doing it was
> internationally prestigious.
. Maybe it wasn't intended as such, but the old "why-don't-you-go-back-to-Russia" argument sounds a lot like red-baiting. I could just as speciously ask how many advanced drugs post-1991 capitalist Russia has produced. Zero? For that matter, how many citizens of capitalist Russia have died of tuberculosis in the last 10 years?

When a private company spends $2 billion on research, it can end up earning over its lifetime, say, $10 billion in profit on the drug, due to patent extensions. Those excess profits represent a huge redistribution of income from the sick and old to shareholders and managers. If the NIH spent $2 billion on research, it could produce a drug at cost - meaning the cost would be borne mostly by the rich and there would be no redistribution from the sick and old. The welfare gains would be huge, not to mention the efficiency gains from a far more rational allocation of research to serious ailments rather than hair loss.

Maybe it would all be cancelled out by the alleged incompetence of public agencies, but I smell some rank ideology therein.

Seth