Brazil gets 40% cut on AIDS drugs

Lawrence lawrence at krubner.com
Wed Sep 5 18:19:54 PDT 2001

> >If you gave NIH/NIM an extra $50 billion a year and told them to come up
> >with some life-saving drugs, I suspect they'd do an excellent job. If
they
> >licensed private manufacturers to make the drugs near cost, they would
end
> >up extremely cheap. And health insurance companies would be more than
happy
> >to pay for these cheap drugs. All of this would be no problem.
> >But if Prof. J. Bradford DeLong walked into the campaign
policy-development
> >meeting of the next Democratic presidential nominee and pitched this
idea, I
> >think he would be met with embarrassed silence if not derisive jeers.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. This year I had 3 friends bail out of academia and go to work for industry. One is an electrical engineer and had been working on building solid state systems for things that had never gone solid state before (radar and microwave for example. The microwave oven in your house still uses a tube, it does not use circuits to cook things). His research had been funded by some Defense Department grant. He was working on his Ph.d . Another friend of mine had been researching a new method to overlay the insights of neuro science with the insights of cognitive science. She had been working on grants from the NIH. She was finishing up her post doc. Another friend of mine, getting her Ph.d in systems engineering, was developing new algorithms for seeing patterns in the national databases on crime. I forget who funded her.

All three of them bailed out this year and headed for industry. All three of them told me they are immensely frustrated with academic life, the restrictions, the ridiculous emphasis on publishing, the incredible social stratification based wholly on who you have published with, the non-stop politics that are involved in trying to get published with someone who has a good name, and the way the work and its value is repeatedly overlooked by the emphasis on publishing in the right journal, with the right person. The arrangements they face are suffocating. The creativity allowed is nil. Everything has to be OKed with an advisor who may not understand the work you are trying to do, and who absolutely will not understand it if you try to do something terribly new and interesting, especially if that is outside of their field of expertise.

This is a system designed to do basic research. It does not do product development. It certainly does not do marketing.