Getting rid of spam

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Sep 6 10:30:18 PDT 2001

At 10:05 AM 9/6/01 -0700, joanna bujes wrote:

>So, is this possible? Blanking out the email adress for the web archive?

yes! i'd asked doug about scripting the archives so they wouldn't come up on google searches, but it seems a shame to keep such a resource from public view, since it is very useful to others and is a way of advertising the list and the newsletter. i'd forgotten about this option, but it's what they do at many archives now.

you might also be getting spammed because you signed up for something and forgot to click off some button and opted in when you didn't intend to. i would suggest that you're probably getting this kind of crap because i'm not getting it at all and i'm archived far more than you. so, my guess is that they're not crawling the archives as badly as you think. now, i have a hotmail account that i use to provide people with my email address when i need to do so and figure that my name might get sold. now that box is loaded with spam because i signed up for a trade mag, an announcement list, downloaded trialware, etc.

also, set up a filter, if you can. if you email address isn't in the to: or cc: line, send it to the trash. this will take care of quit a bit. i don't do this b/c others BCC me quite a bit. but if your correspondents don't regularly use BCC with you, then it's a good way to keep the crap out of you in-box.

spam resources:

The spam fighter's toolkit By Ralph Tegtmeier, eCommerceBase.com, September 2001

Here's a good resource for those who want to take steps to fight spam--from reporting tools to special e-mail forwarding services. More at http://www.ecommercebase.com/article/543