Getting rid of spam

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Sep 6 12:50:32 PDT 2001

At 02:20 PM 9/6/01 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Kelley wrote:
>
>>uhm, well, if they were handling it, she wouldn't have seen it to begin
>>with, eh?
>
>Panix doesn't apply the filters unless you ask.

Sun isn't an ISP in the position to do this to its users. They don't make decisions the same way an ISP does. Nor do they necessarily want to spend the money on server level solutions that an ISP might.

Also, Panix, from what I've seen of their pages, demands some level of knowledge on the part of its subscribers. they charge quite a bit more than competing ISPs indicating to me that they're not interested in the AOL crowd. Sun, however, can't expect that and, just because it's SUN that doesn't mean that all users are technologically savvy. and, even when they are, it doesn't mean jack since Mshaft got hacked last year because a developer downloaded a trojaned zip file.

>>a technical solution to spam blocking often fails to discriminate between
>>unsolicited bulk mail and solicited bulk mail (a list).
>
>With the Panix filters, presumed spam is dumped into a spam folder, which
>you can then inspect with Pine or Elm or some other Unix mailer. I've been
>checking, and it's all spam and SirCam.

Pine or Elm....Unix....Procmail Brad's and Joanna's email client was Mshaft's Outlook, now it's Eudora, Windows version. I'm guessing you figure they're gonna install a Unixmail for Windows.

Like I said, talk to Matt. obviously you think I can't possibly know anything, even though this is one of the things I deal with day in and day out. Matt is more on the front lines than I am, but my clients are people like Matt who work with me to build meatspace solutions because they don't or can't do it the way you've suggested. they DO have a problem with filtering software not distinquishing between Unsolicited and solicited

f course, if they were really any good, they'd have hired me. i'm the real answer to their problems. heh.

>Someone told me that Sun scans all resumes and throws out all those not
>containing names like Stanford, MIT, and Yale.
>
>Doug

you say that with a smile on your mug? hmmmm. my mentor sent me off to interview at stanford a couple of years ago, before i was ready. that count you think?

it was a joke about the meatspace problem--technology won't help. and, in any case, I'm afraid Sun would be too small for us. the only people who can afford us--in the security picture anyway since the services we offer are for the rilly rilly paranoid--are people who are really huge--fortune 100--and have compliance (banks, insurance, medical) and political correctness (banks) issues to deal with. otherwise, most firms can't afford it.

if SUn had the solutions in place that you mention, they probably would have helped joanna with it. they did not. so, i explained to her--and others who might be interested in alleviating spam--how they could deal with it on their own. Sun, despite your assumption, wasn't apparently prepared to offer her procmail / MUA level filtering.