Social policy

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Fri Sep 7 07:55:54 PDT 2001

This very good book also has a good deal to say about the neglected question of American exceptionalism. Some of the essays show how the US differs from Europe in that formal democracy came into existence before rather than after the development of the state bureaucracy which has remained minimally legitimized and essentially smaller. This has retarded the development of social welfare, and maintained it on a residual basis.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema