nference on Racism:Jewish Caucus Statement

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 7 09:49:35 PDT 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>I would suggest that for another half century (minimum) such calls could
>only ignite the kind of battles purely in the mind that Marx mocks in
>the German Ideology. If the paradigm does dissolve it will happen
>invisibly, behind the backs of the actors, and its dissolution will only
>be discovered decades or centuries after the fact -- at about the time
>that whatever paradigm replaces it will already be decaying at the
>edges.

So there's no room for conscious political action against nationalism? Against anything else? Capitalism? Why is the nation-state different from capitalism? At least the nation-state has a stable mailing address. This reminds me of that old R Crumb cartoon of a distressed-looking woman sitting in a chair screaming "Why bother?"

Doug