The latest Utah uproar

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Fri Sep 7 11:29:14 PDT 2001

[Musta been that August sun]

< http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=10674 > Utah town goes 'U.N. free' by Lin Alder

[snip]

"The world is simply a better place because of the United Nations," says Duane Kessler, a local contractor. Jeers and hisses fill the room.

"What you have done with this ordinance is obliterate our Constitution," Kessler continues. More hissing. "Our freedoms that you seek to protect from the U.N. are destroyed by this new law."

The "law" Kessler refers to was passed by the council one week earlier on Independence Day. It establishes La Verkin as a "U.N. Free Zone," and requires that all United Nations supporters affix a sign to their homes and businesses that says, "U.N. work conducted here." So-called "U.N. Agents" (i.e. anyone who supports the U.N., or affiliates with its supporters) must also file annual activity reports with the council and pay unspecified fees. Violators of the decree can be charged with a Class C misdemeanor. [snip]