The latest Utah uproar

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 7 17:50:46 PDT 2001

The actual law is bad enough but it makes no mention of the provisions listed re UN supporters--in fact the mayor has specifically denied that the law prevents people from supporting the United Nations---although this seems a bit disingenuous given that it is illegal to fly the UN flag or other UN symbols...

Cheers, Ken Hanly

Here is the whole law:

UN Free Zoning Ordinance . Related Articles . UN Comments

THE CITY OF LAVERKIN STATE OF UTAH

UNITED NATIONS FREE ZONE ORDINANCE (REVISED)

Section 1. Name

Section 2. Existing Ordinance Revised

Section 3. Purpose

Section 4. Findings

Section 5. Prohibitions

Section 6. Community Right to Know

Section 7. Enforcement

Section 8. Severability

Section 1. Name.

This Chapter shall be known as the United Nations-free Zone of LaVerkin, Washington County.

Section 2. Existing Ordinance Revised.

This Ordinance revises and supercedes Ordinance 2001-09, which was passed by the City Council of LaVerkin on July 4, 2001.

Section 3. Purpose.

A. To maintain and preserve the Supreme Law of the Land as set forth in the Constitution of the State of Utah, and of these United States to the benefit of the people of the City of LaVerkin, including but not limited to the freedoms of religion, speech, press, assembly and to petition the government for redress of grievances; and the rights of all persons to keep and bear arms, to trial by jury, to the privilege against self-incrimination, and to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures; and to the common law writ of habeas corpus. The underlying purpose of this ordinance is to protect personal freedom and self-government.

B. To oppose the United Nations Charter as an illegitimate and unconstitutional charter.

C. To resist the United Nations' unconstitutional and illegal usurpation of the United States of America sovereignty.

D. To restore completely the People of the Several States as the final and ultimate civil authority in these United States of America.

E. To recognize no executive, legislative or judicial power within the city limits other than those powers duly constituted by the People in the Constitution of the State of Utah and by the Peoples of the Several States in the United States Constitution.

F. To protect the citizens of the City of LaVerkin from taxation without representation, by forbidding the United Nations from implementing within the city limits any involuntary tax, levy, fee, assessment or surcharge, and petition Congress to refrain from funding United Nations activities and oppose any attempt by the United Nations to fund its activities through taxation.

G. To establish a citizen's right to know about, and to increase citizen awareness of, the activities of the United Nations. -Back to the Top-

Section 4. Findings

The governing body of LaVerkin City finds that:

A. The City Council of this city is bound by oath and affirmation to support the Constitution of the United States and, pursuant to that oath and Article VI of the United States Constitution, to obey only treaties "made under the Authority of the United States."

B. The United Nations Charter is not by definition or in practice a treaty "made under the Authority of the United States," as set forth in Article VI of the United States Constitution, but an illegitimate and unconstitutional internal constitution for a world government.

C. The Congress, the President, and the Supreme Court of the United States, have failed to adequately protect the people of the United States from the United Nations' usurpation of the sovereignty of the people of the United States, including the sovereign powers of the people of this city.

D. The People of this city have a right to know about any unconstitutional and unlawful activities of the United Nations, as they may impact this community. -Back to the Top-

Section 5. Prohibitions

Be it ordained by the City Council of LaVerkin, Utah as follows:

A. United Nations Flags and Symbols. No flag or other symbol representing the United Nations shall be displayed or flown from the City's official flag mast located at or on the City office building.

B. United Nations Personnel. No United Nations military troops or personnel may be quartered on City property, unless expressly authorized by state or federal law.

C. United Nations Tax. No involuntary tax, levy, surcharge, fee, assessment, or other financial burden authorized by the United Nations may be imposed on any person within the geographic limits of this City, unless expressly authorized by state or federal law.

D. Financial Support. The City is prohibited from making direct financial contributions to the United Nations.

E. United Nations Restraints. No arrest or restraint of the liberty of any citizen of this City by any official acting under the authority of the United Nations may be effected within the geographic limits of this City, unless expressly authorized by state or federal law.

F. International Court Decree. No judicial order, decree or judgment entered by any international court under the authority of the United Nations shall be enforceable within the geographic limits of this City, unless expressly authorized by state or federal law. -Back to the Top-

Section 6. Community Right to Know

The City of LaVerkin may, through its own agencies and in cooperation with other local government agencies and educational organizations and interested citizen groups, assist and promote educational activities, including but not limited to curriculum in public schools and adult education programs, to advance public awareness and understanding of work for the United Nations, its supporters and affiliates and related matters as addressed in this ordinance. This Section shall not impose upon the City any duty or obligation to financially support any effort to educate the public on the work of the Untied Nations. -Back to the Top-

Section 7. Enforcement

Each violation of this ordinance shall be a Class C misdemeanor. Each day the ordinance is violated shall be deemed a separate violation.-Back to the Top-

Section 8. Severability

If any section, subsection, paragraph, or word of this ordinance shall be held to be invalid, either on its face or as applied, the invalidity of such provision shall not affect the other sections, subsections paragraphs, sentences or words of this ordinance and the application thereof; and to that end the sections, subsections, paragraphs, sentences and words of this ordinance shall be deemed to be severable.

This ordinance shall become effective immediately upon passage and posting. -Back to the Top-

----- Original Message ----- From: Ian Murray <seamus2001 at home.com> To: Lbo-Talk at Lists. Panix. Com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 1:29 PM Subject: The latest Utah uproar