All or Nothing? (was Re: nference on Racism:Jewish Caucus Statement)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 7 11:46:35 PDT 2001

>Macdonald Stainsby wrote:
>
>>Doug you quoted me saying the state and not the people, and then
>>asked me where
>>the people should go. Of course Canada is included...I am-
>>poltically speaking-
>>a North American.
>>
>>It's absolutely a dream world for all the Canadian nationalists to
>>think about a
>>revolution without American co-operation as well.... likewise, it
>>is idiocy to
>>imagine a revolutionary upsurge from the USA with Canada sitting
>>there as some
>>sort of capitalist outpost. To Canadians who talk about the
>>Canadian revolution,
>>I say it's time to get real. Canada must be abolished, so must America and
>>Israel, Australia....etc etc... followed by something entirely new which
>>addresses the injustices of the past - based on equal negotiations. It is
>>dreamland to think otherwise- something as sinister in formation as Israel
>>cannot possibly be reformed. It is cancer on the entire region and must be
>>obliterated *politically* so as we can move forward. Perhaps two states are
>>neccessary- but they will both be new and not racially or
>>religiously based or
>>they will fail.
>
>This is strange. You concede that the U.S., Canada, and Australia
>should all go - France too? Japan? India? - but then return to the
>theme of Israel as being particularly malignant. That sort of thing
>looks bad. Maybe it's because you're a Leninist that you can't do
>the anti-statist routine very convincingly, so instead of calling
>for an end to nation-states in general, we get... what? I'm not
>sure. And how can the state go without having any consequences for
>the people involved?
>
>Doug

Being a loser of the Second World War, Japan lost its colonies, & Japanese settler-colonists scattered all over Asia became _hikiagesya_ (returnees). Good for the Japanese, good for other Asians, unless you are committed to "all or nothing." Though it wasn't "an end to nation-states in general," it was a step in the right direction. The only problem was that many parts of Asia -- including Japan itself -- then became outposts of the American empire. Struggles go on. Hasta la victoria siempre.

Yoshie