men and women

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 7 13:06:26 PDT 2001

> > Right. American workers are given fantasies of fit
>> bodies by
>> Hollywood, rather than high wages, national health
>> care, & vacation
>> days when they can exercise.
>>
>> Yoshie
>
>This made me think of a Phil Gramm quote I saw the
>other day: "Has anyone ever noticed that we live in
>the only country in the world where all the poor
>people are fat?" The "unfit" body can have political
>relevance as a target for stigma (lazy, ugly, etc.).
>
>Alec

Artists like John Waters & Jennifer Reeder have made careers riffing on the stigma of the "unfit."

That said, one can't quite embrace all degrees of obesity as one may embrace dark skin & nappy hair, small hips & almond eyes, and so on (which have been also stigmatized as "ugly" by racists), for too much fat can have dire health consequences. In many tribes, for instance, morbidity & mortality from diabetes are high, due to poor diets & environments that settler colonialism has forced upon them. In short, one can't reject physical fitness altogether as just another instance of the "tyranny of normalization."

Yoshie