lbo-talk-digest V1 #4825

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Fri Sep 7 17:33:04 PDT 2001

Sure, fat's a class issue. I did some research on this in school, and while I don't remember where I got the info, my general recollection is that it was especially true for women: the richer, the thinner and the poorer, the fatter. For men, it was a little more ambiguous, i.e. the statistical pattern wasn't as clear-cut. But I'd guess it is becoming more clear-cut for men over time. One of the reasons I think so is the way men's magazines have increasingly come to mirror women's magazines over time - increasingly focused on image management, household and personal goods that can be bought to create a desired image, and the improvement of the body through diet, exercise, toiletries, etc.

I also remember that it was not ever thus; it used to be (seems like the transition was somewhere between 1940's - 1970's) that the poor tended to be thinner and the rich fatter - again, with women being more the exemplary case.

Les

<< ate: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 14:03:48 -0400

From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>

Subject: Re: men and women

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>What's interesting (if not surprising) is that while Americans, male

>or female, are on the average among the fattest of the world,

>American actors in Hollywood movies now display the best toned

>bodies of all movies of the world.

Fat is a class issue. I've heard it said - and though I haven't

factchecked this, it sounds entirely right from what I've seen - that

there isn't a single fat CEO of a Fortune 500 company. And contrast

slender marathon runner Robert Rubin with the 300-lb steak and wine

for breakfast J.P. Morgan. Urban yuppies of both sexes are generally

fit; plumpies are rare.

Doug >>