men and women

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Fri Sep 7 18:01:53 PDT 2001

Smoking is also a class issue. If you look through old magazines (as I used to do as a teenager when my wonderful local library had collections of magazines on the shelves going back to the teens and 20's), you can see that cigarettes were originally advertised with pictures of upper-class sophisticated twits (old films similarly). As time went along, the people portrayed in ads were increasingly middle/working class, and more people started smoking. In the 50's, "most" adult males smoked (can't remember the statistics, but if it wasn't half, I think it was pretty close.) I'd speculate that the rejection of smoking by upper class sophisticates started before the health downside was widely known - by way of an unconscious rejection of an attribute that had increasingly come to seem ordinary or lower-class.

Today, less of the US population (I think it's about 25%) smokes, and they're overwhelming the "lower/lower middle classes" - at the hospital where I work, it's the kitchen aides and the floor aides who are smoking in the parking lot, almost exclusively.

My anecdote about smoking and class: I was in San Miguel de Allende (a pretty Mexican city with a colony of well-off Americans) in the early 80's with my Japanese husband. We were in our 30's and traveling in the low budget manner. We met an American couple who owned a large and lovely home there. The husband invited us over and we were sitting on their terrace chatting. My husband asked if he could smoke. The wife turned to the husband and said "I knew we'd have trouble with them!" rather viciously. My husband said of course, he did not need to smoke if it was bothersome. But the afternoon was no longer so delightful, and we left soon after.

<< is pure, unadulterated SHIT: the past, present and future, perfect

and imperfect. So they hang out smoking outside, alone. Or by the vending >>