US revenge attacks.

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Sep 11 14:26:25 PDT 2001

At 11/09/01 15:04 -0400, you wrote:
>I've spent the better part of the past couple of hours scrolling through
>online discussion lists, and I must say the mood is very ugly. The screaming
>for Palestinian and Afghani blood is deafening. I read one who said that all
>"good" Americans should enthusiastically give up many of their civil
>liberties to aid the now even Holier War on Terror. I've seen calls for
>Jesse Jackson to be hanged for treason. Detention camps for "domestic
>enemies" have been suggested. I know a lot of this is typical Web hyperbole,
>but I wonder: Are we in for real serious rhetoric as the death toll rises?

I suppose so. But if the US does much of this it will seriously damage its relations with its former allies. The new power realities of the world will reassert themselves. If the US wants to have a tantrum and bomb a pharmacy in the Sudan, or send cruise into the Afghan hills, it can probably get away with it. But the middle east is Europe's back yard, and Europe has already signalled it is not confident leaving matters to US leadership. It will be firmly committed to finding some accommodation with "moderate" Arab opinion, It will be furious with some blundering intervention by Bush.

Go ahead USA ! Have a tantrum! It will not enhance your security at all. Just the reverse, And it will further underming your fading leadership of the world

It is up to progressive citizens of the USA how you can deal with this sort of fascism and it is not worth spending time on right wing discussion groups. But if it comes up in something a bit more like civil society, I suggest the right ploy is a worldy wise one of drawing attention to the practicalities of real politik. When people, or countries are angry, there is a fine line between looking impressive and looking silly. And the rest of the world is not at all impressed with Bush.

To the rest of the world this attack shows that the USA has feet of clay. It will be very foolish of the USA to start throwing its weight around at this moment.

Chris Burford

London