(no subject)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 12 20:11:19 PDT 2001

>From: LeoCasey at aol.com
>
>But what is real offensive, so offensive I have difficulty finding the
>words
>for my rage about it, is the series of posts from the Heartfields, the
>Hanleys and the like which offer the intellectual equivalents of the
>celebrations of joy in the streets of Nablus. It is obscene beyond belief
>that they should foist upon us these justifications and explanations for
>mass
>murder as a blow against American imperialism at a time like this.

What bettter time than this, Leo? We are finally seeing the true cost of America's imperial ambitions and recklessness. The hatred expressed in Nablus did not arise ex nihilio. You can either try to understand that hatred and take steps to address its root causes, or you can just ventilate about evil in the world. If the latter is your choice, you'll probably enjoy this selection from Andrew Sullivan's web site (http://www.andrewsullivan.com/):

"TODAY: I have been unable to think of anything substantive to write today. It is almost as if the usual conventions of journalism and analysis should somehow remain mute in the face of such an event. How can one analyze what one hasn't even begun to absorb? Numbness is part of the intent of these demons, I suppose. So here are some tentative reflections. It feels - finally - as if a new era has begun. The strange interlude of 1989 - 2001, with its decadent post-Cold War extravaganzas from Lewinsky to Condit to the e-boom, is now suddenly washed away. We are reminded that history obviously hasn't ended; that freedom is never secure; that previous generations aren't the only ones to be called to defend the rare way of life that this country and a handful of others have achieved for a small fraction of world history. The boom is done with. Peace is over. The new war against the frenzied forces of what Nietzsche called ressentiment is just beginning. The one silver lining of this is that we may perhaps be shaken out of our self-indulgent preoccupations and be reminded of what really matters: our freedom, our security, our integrity as a democratic society. This means we must be vigilant not to let our civil liberties collapse under the understandable desire for action. To surrender to that temptation is part of what these killers want. And the other small sliver of consolation is that the constant American temptation to withdraw from the world, entertained these past few years by many, will perhaps now be stifled. We cannot withdraw; we cannot ignore. We live in a world where technology and hatred accelerate in ever-faster cycles, and in which isolation is not an option. Evil is still here. It begets evil. When you look at the delighted faces of Palestinians cheering in the streets, we have to realize that there are cultures on this planet of such depravity that understanding them is never fully possible. And empathy for them at such a moment is obscene. But we can observe and remember. There is always a tension between civilization and barbarism, and the barbarians are now here. The task in front of us to somehow stay civilized while not shrinking from the face of extinguishing - by sheer force if necessary - the forces that would eclipse us. - 9/11/2001 09:46:06 PM

"EVIL: The forces of barbarism have clearly struck an extraordinary blow against freedom this morning. This is not about the United States alone. It is about the survival of free societies in an open, interconnected world where forces deeply hostile to freedom can wage a new kind of war against our humanity and our success. Words fail me. But my hope is that this will awaken the sleeping tiger. When our shock recedes, our rage must be steady and resolute and unforgiving. The response must be disproportionate to the crime and must hold those states and governments that have tolerated this evil accountable. This is the single most devastating act of war since Nagasaki. It is the first time that an enemy force has invaded the precincts of the American capital since the early nineteenth century. It is more dangerous than Pearl Harbor. And it is a reminder that the forces of resentment and evil - so prominent only recently in the Durban conference - can no longer be appeased. They must be destroyed - systematically, durably, irrevocably. Perhaps now we will summon the will to do it. - 9/11/2001 03:47:37 PM"

[end of excerpt]

Carl