The Human Toll

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Wed Sep 12 19:52:44 PDT 2001

My daughters attend a small full inclusion school in the lower Park Slope section of Brooklyn. Tonight I was on the telephone making arrangements for school's opening tomorrow because no less than five staff people lost close family members at the WTC. The teacher who is the union chapter leader, and has a new born child, lost her husband firefighter. Another teacher lost a husband, and another a daughter who worked at the WTC. A teacher who had lost a firefighter husband two years ago in a fire now lost a cousin. Another lost a brother-in-law. We don't yet know about students who have lost family members.

I do not look forward to tomorrow morning. The union has a whole team of counselors and mental health professionals to deal with crises of these sorts, but we never imagined a situation in which they would happen simultaneously across the city. We have two entire small high schools which were in buildings directly across from the WTC which no longer exist, and we will have to deal with them.

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass -- -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20010912/6acbd759/attachment.htm>