What course of action should the U.S. take?

RE earnest at tallynet.com
Wed Sep 12 15:52:26 PDT 2001

In trying to think about this, I realize that to some degree the idea of a moral course of action is determined by one's sense of the moral compass of the attackers. Are these guys capable of anything? In trying to gauge this, their relative anonymity and the impossibility of communicating with them, coupled with the enormity of the attack, creates a push past "punishment that fits the crime" in the direction of preemptive action to ensure safety. As a number of commentators and insiders have said, the assumption had been that explosives, conventional or nuclear, or biological weapons would be used. Now that it becomes impossible to avoid the conclusion that they would use them, aren't we pushed in the direction of "treat them like mad dogs," or some other exterminative notion? And, who knows when they will strike next, do they have anything in reserve, etc. It seems like the Fisk article, while not advocating this, does begin to raise the idea that we are in the position of dealing with people driven mad with rage (not just over injustices, I think some of the jihad draws on hatred of the liberation of women and a form of feudal ideology) and religion.

I realize this is absurdly abstract, and ignores the ideal option that the US could say "OK, we're going to rework our Mideast policy. Israeli settlements are going to be rolled back to x, Palestinians will have a contiguous state with guaranteed water rights..." on and on. If that were done, presumably the madness would lift to a significant degree, and then we could talk about punishments for crimes committed, context, and so on. But it won't, and so we're driven in the direction of the laptop bombardiers, because the jihad guys have declared themselves capable of anything, are communicating by massacre and narcissistic blather about jihads, making the death of thousands, or millions, legitimate (am I right about that, or does the jihad concept have some internal limits?), and US policy on Israel is inviolate. re

----- Original Message ----- From: <lweiger at umich.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 5:47 PM Subject: What course of action should the U.S. take?