Bin Laden: The story that needs to be told

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Sep 12 17:22:09 PDT 2001

On the other hand, ABC ran a tremendously good report noting the bitterness of Palestinians because of US support for Israel, our support for their dominance of Islamic holy sites, and the use of American weapons in killing Palestinians - all with visuals of suffering Palestinians - in noting the support at times in the region for the bombing. They combined this with a long story on the anti-Arab and anti-Islam threats against Americans from the region and noted that there were doubtless many Arab and Islamic Americans who died in the bombing, just like other Americans.

Frankly, the media has been quite good in repeatedly condemning any hint of backlash against Arab and Islamic Americans. They've given lots of play to Guiliani's surprisingly moving defense of tolerance and refusal to give into hate (it makes you think he should have gotten cancer years ago; he's become such a liberal softie.)

I think at least some of the media are doing penance for their wrong racist reactions to the Oklahoma City bombings.

Nathan nathan at newman.org http://www.nathannewman.org ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Kromm" <ckromm at mindspring.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 8:09 PM Subject: Re: Bin Laden: The story that needs to be told

Luke,

In your zeal to make a point, you're dead wrong. Many, many news accounts -- and I've been watching many -- have omitted the story of bin Laden's CIA connection. Stratfor's intelligence briefing on bin Laden -- widely circulated, quoted and posted on official news websites -- left out any reference of the Cold War context, CIA backing, or U.S. involvement on any level.

Your doting words towards mainstream media accounts are bizarre. Media coverage has been wrong on this, and other issues. And it's important that they are called on it.

Chris

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 17:23:33 -0400 From: lweiger at umich.edu Subject: Re: Bin Laden: The story that needs to be told

> > You assume that it hasn't already been told loud and clear. My father
> > told me that one of the major news anchors was discussing it with an
> > analyst last night. Who could forget that just yesterday the Soviets
> > were fighting the US-backed Taliban?
> >
> > -- Luke
>
> It certainly hasn't been emphasized in any coverage I've seen. Plenty of
> people in the U.S. have forgotten, or never knew. And when they were
> fighting the Soviets, they were generally known in the west as the
> "mujahadeen" or just Afghan rebels. I don't know how generally it's
> understood that the "Taliban" are (many of) the same people. So yes, it
> is still our job (and anyone's who cares) to make sure this is talked
> about.
>
> Gary Ashwill

And, as I noted, apparently even major news anchors like Dan Rather are willing to note the historical context. There is no "mainstream media" demonically attempting to spin reality away (even though, of course, this analysis is likely to be more prominently featured in the Nation than Newsweek).

- -- Luke