What is the moral course

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Sep 13 08:41:23 PDT 2001

thanks for your gentle criticism. you can see my response to Jimbo.

In one sense this is part of an endless argument I have w/some people, namely my objection to the premise that left politics is about 'finding the moral course' and elevating it to the status of a political platform.

To me politics is about finding the words and actions that strike the right balance between trivial incrementalism (i.e., parliamentary cretinism) and unrealistic optimism. Boundless optimism is o.k., I think, for the long term, but it is a poor guide to what is to be done now.

regards, Dr. Gobshite

> This is the most ridiculous post of the week,
> but it's only Thursday.
>
> mbs

Max, I'm normally out there in the bleachers as part of the Sawicky fan club and I learn a lot from your responses to the rant and cant on the list. Had someone suggested that a moral response might involve fining those responsible for an illegal disposal of a commercial airline in a unregulated venue, then you'd be right. What Heartfield suggested is as far from ridiculous as it is from what is realistic. A moral reponse is to make peace.

Dennis Breslin