Hoax, variation; see also: snopes.com (Re: CNN images are fake?)

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Sep 13 10:48:23 PDT 2001

>the smiley faces are particularly effective. i wish this opinion were not
>representative.

oh, well, join those lists that have been set up to discuss the event. i can't keep up but occ. something catches my eye. One guy called for Florida to be nuked. There are some nutters out there, but then USENET and AOHELL chatrooms are like that everyday.

> i presume you've all by now seen the "transcript" from
>canada about how wonderful america is (kelley--i'd be curious about this as
>a possible hoax. curious if anyone knows. i'll take a look into it.). it's
>all about how america and americans are the most underappreciated
>country/people in the world.

fookinaaaayyyyy yes it is. granted, i've been guilty of not checkin' sources, but....

<paste>

<paste> I do voluntary work with an organization of folks who keep tabs on Internet rumors, hoaxes, etc.

A plea: When you forward appeals, heart-tugging stories, unconfirmed reports from friends and so forth, you should take care to include as much information as possible. Include the full headers at the bottom or top of your forward. Include names, email addresses, land mail addresses whenever possible. I'm not even going to suggest that people stop passing along unsourced information or even that they check it out first. It's too difficult a time for that. But here are three questions to ask yourself before you hit <send>

1. Is upper case used liberally? 2. Have you been asked to send to as many people as possible, everyone you know? 3. Is there a source email address, name, land mail addy, web page address associated w/ announcement.

To check a hoax see:

http://www.snopes.com http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/ http://www.urbanlegends.com/