Hoax, variation; see also: snopes.com (Re: CNN images are fake?)

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Thu Sep 13 11:01:16 PDT 2001

>> the smiley faces are particularly effective. i wish this opinion were not
>> representative.
>
> oh, well, join those lists that have been set up to discuss the event. i
> can't keep up but occ. something catches my eye. One guy called for Florida
> to be nuked. There are some nutters out there, but then USENET and AOHELL
> chatrooms are like that everyday.

yep. i've been seeing the worst stuff. i can't take it, much less keep up. one of the good things abot the nightline report last night was that they read some really vicious stuff on the air -- and they were suitably aghast at it. koppel asked the reporter how representative that stuff was and the reporter called it "the tip of the iceberg."

>> i presume you've all by now seen the "transcript" from
>> canada about how wonderful america is (kelley--i'd be curious about this as
>> a possible hoax. curious if anyone knows. i'll take a look into it.). it's
>> all about how america and americans are the most underappreciated
>> country/people in the world.
>

> fookinaaaayyyyy yes it is. granted, i've been guilty of not checkin'
> sources, but....
>
> <paste>
<snip>

i've been unable to get into snopes, this morning, and search at urbanlegends doesn't seem to work.

i did find this, however: http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/Our_Culture/americans_story.htm

elaborate hoaxing, if that's what it is.

more to come. j