Leo corrected

lweiger at umich.edu lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Sep 13 11:49:42 PDT 2001

> I think you err by ascribing super-agency to the US by claiming that "we,"
> whoever that is, are somehow responsible for all the evils around the
> world. As I argued in my previous posting under (no subject), the old
> pre-modern institutions of the islamic world are disintegrating after the
> collision with modernization and many folks, especially those who stand to

> Well, these marginalised perennial malcontents think primarily > > in
the religious terms I just described. They see the US as the > incarnation of
> all imaginable evil in the world, and thus "deserving" a
> "counterattack." It is an act of faith, not a rational analysis > based
on emprical analysis of causes and effects. Why condemning > someone for prefering religious
> divinations (disguised as rational discourse) over emprical
> analysis?

> wojtek

Exactly. The relevant crimes in this instance that the U.S. has committed are the perceived ones against a religion and culture; not the real ones against humanity.

-- Luke