Letter on Anti-Arab sentiment/attacks

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Thu Sep 13 13:01:36 PDT 2001

Letter to the editor of The Minneapolis Star Tribune

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:47:44 -1000 (HST) From: Stephen E Philion <philion at hawaii.edu> To: opinion at startribune.com Subject: Letter on Anti-Arab sentiment/attacks

Re: Ahmed Tharwat's discomfort as an Arab American with the need to explain his views of the recent tragedy, I can understand, though I am not of Arab descent. Non-Americans are also uncomfortable because they have to explain too often to fellow Americans that attacks on Arab-Americans are attacks on Americans. Racist attacks such as those that have occurred against Arab-Americans rely not only on the fear of those directly attacked. They also rely on the fear of American citizens of speaking out against such attacks (be they physical or verbal). The integrity of the US constitution demands that we not be afraid to make it known that we don't approve of attacks on Arab Americans. Timothy McVeigh might have approved of such behavior, we should not.

Stephen Philion Minneapolis, MN