Assassination - Re: What is the moral course

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 13 20:33:13 PDT 2001

>From: "Nathan Newman" <nathan at newman.org>
>
>Secret assassination has a problem, since it's disallows democratic
>accountability. But I have no conception of why progressives should be
>opposed to public assassination, unless they are complete pacificists.

Well, here's a point to consider, from that libertarian web site that Dennis posted here recently: "Maybe some American spy will assassinate bin Laden. That event will create an international martyr for 500,000,000 men, plus their wives and will-be wives. Bin Laden knows this. He is probably willing to become a martyr, just as the terrorists in those four planes were willing. This is why, from his point of view, the attack was an enormous success. Whether or not he masterminded it, his religious peers will see him as a martyr if he is killed and as a genius strategist if he isn't. He will get imitators."

Carl