Assassination - Re: What is the moral course

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Sep 13 15:15:28 PDT 2001

Carl Remick wrote:

> >From: "Nathan Newman" <nathan at newman.org>
> >
> >Secret assassination has a problem, since it's disallows democratic
> >accountability. But I have no conception of why progressives should be
> >opposed to public assassination, unless they are complete pacificists.

Back in the '50s s common racist charge against Arabs was that only among Arabs did the barbarian practice of assassinating leaders play a role in politics. This practice had been, the story went, eliminated among truly civilized peoples. (Of course at about the same time Eisenhower was urging his minions to eliminate Lumumba.)

Carrol