(no subject)

Zak McGregor zak at mighty.co.za
Thu Sep 13 16:19:10 PDT 2001

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:39:20 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Brad DeLong wrote:
>
> >The line between explanation, understanding, justification, and
> >excuse is always a fine one But anyone who wants to minimize the
> >chances that the Gates of Hell are about to yawn open would be
> >well-advised to talk less about how the WTC is "understandable given
> >past misdeeds of the American government" and more about how massive
> >civilian casualties--anywhere, anyhow, anytime--are unacceptable.
>
> Does that apply to Iraq and the former Yugoslavia too?

One thing that really gets to me is the huge disparity between world-wide reactions to the disasters. It is, I suppose, a combination of many factors, including blatant racism, sycophancy (is that a word?) and convenience (it is *very* convenient to only consider *western* civilian deaths as tragic, any other civilian deaths are obviously caused by their dictator/terrorist-friendly/drug-running leaders). I guess it is also a monumental challenge for a person to have to perceive of the USA (to someone apolitical) as not the father-figure, good samaritan of the world, but as a war-mongering, self-serving state willing and able to kill innocents at the drop of a hat (or pair of trousers: Monica Lewinsky and the fortuitous bombing of Iraq when the scandal broke). I guess ignoring the facts is easier for most people to do than undergoing a fundamental change in mindset towards the US. Too many accepted, ingrained assumptions need adjusting.

Luke, Max, Nathan et al: I am not being callous or using this for any political leverage by not prefacing this with lines of commiseration. Just know that loss of human life is tragic and never idealogically justifiable.

Apologies if this post was wholly politically naive - I am trying to learn here and have no formal political training. I am also just trying to come to grips with attitudes from many people, in the US and other, especially ones of the type to "turn Afghanistan into a parking lot" etc.

Thanks

Cheers

Zak