(no subject) any political initiatives along with military?

RE earnest at tallynet.com
Thu Sep 13 16:53:10 PDT 2001

I recall at the time of the election one bit of silver lining some argued for was that a Bush administration could be less tied to existing Mideast policy than Gore. I haven't seen much of that. But, given the fact that current military doctrine stresses any alternatives to extended ground combat, and the idea of occupying Afghanistan must be something they want to avoid, I wonder if there's more of a political component to what the administration is planning than people are considering here. They must realize they are going to have to undercut some of the motivation for terrorism and, if their analysis places anything like the appropriate emphasis on Palestine, perhaps all the wind about "defending freedom" and preserving institutions such as our right to curbside pickups conceals something they could never discuss publicly, especially now: a tilt away from Israel. So, after a period of bombing and other operations to disrupt existing terrorist organizations, there's a new "Peace Initiative," based on a coalition of mideast countries in which Israeli interests are not so predominant, perhaps drawing on the Gulf War alliance. Otherwise, they are facing a protacted war, with the opposition likely eventually being able to get control of major weapons. etc. etc. re