[Fwd: Re: CNN coverage]

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 13 22:00:07 PDT 2001

>I have no particular knowledge of the issues discussed below, but the
>points raised should probably be considered by anyone thinking of
>further spreading the post concerning CNN & the pictures of celebrating
>Palestinians. Perhaps Justin could comment.

In the US. libel law is state law. Still, in most jurisdictions defamation requires you to prove the statement was false, defamatory, and caused you damages. However, if the defamatory statement concerns a public figure or private person involved in a matter of public concern, the 1st amend. is implicated, and you have to prove that the statement was made with knowledge that it was false or with "reckless disregard" as to whether it was false. My guess is that the latter standard might well be satisfied if someone were publish a false and defamatory statement with the admission that he didn't know whether it was true and hadn't bothered to try to find out. However, the defamed person would have to prove some sort of damages, typically; they are not generally presumed outside of all small class of cases. Still, it is a serious pain to have to defend a lawsuit. A lawyer would advise a list owner or a publisher to make some reasonable effort to find out whether a statement is true before publishing it. --jks