(no subject)

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Fri Sep 14 06:33:37 PDT 2001

> [Maria Tomchick, Jeff Gustafson, and Geov Parrish, "The Sudan Deception,"
> eatthestate.org] "The plant itself produced 60% of Sudan's
> pharmaceuticals. It had also been cleared by the UN Sanctions Committee to
> send a shipment of antibiotics to help alleviate Iraqi suffering.
> Destroying the plant effectively condemns thousands, from Sudan to Iraq,
> to die. Furthermore, the US continues to withhold relief aid to the WFP
> and UNICEF in Sudan. But the US was willing to spend over $75 million
> dollars in its cruise missile attacks against Sudan and Afghanistan...
>
> "Instead, it appears that the Sudanese factory was selected as a target,
> more or less randomly, as part of a "message" the U.S. wished to send, a
> message that singled out no particular country or group, but warned that
> all would be subject to random acts of U.S. violence when it suited
> American needs. That is, in itself, the very definition of terrorism..."
>
> [iacenter.org] "Even though members of his own administration admitted the
> deceit of U.S. claims that the Al Shifa plant was making chemical weapons,
> Clinton has yet to pay compensation or even make an apology. It is
> estimated that 10,000 African children will die from easily treatable
> diseases like malaria because of the bombing and U.S.-inspired sanctions
> on Sudan ... Of course, the children don't have to die. If the U.S.
> government would simply pay to replace the medicine and rebuild the
> pharmaceutical plant that provided 90 percent of the most critical
> medicine in Sudan, the human crisis could be averted. But that's not what
> the banks and corporate interests put Clinton in office to do..."

But are they dying? Has it come to pass? I'm sure in the wake of Clinton's cowardly action (had he rode one of the missiles a la Slim Pickens in "Strangelove" I'd think higher of him) there are those who have died -- but what are the numbers? The reason I felt that Noam's example was weak is because there doesn't seem to be solid numbers that compare with, or exceed, the numbers that we know are gonna rise once the rubble is cleared (assuming they find some bodies at all; I heard eyewitness testimony of arms, feet, legs, scalps flying all over the place, and then there are those simply burnt to cinder). Again, if there are credible numbers and not just estimates, I'll take it back.

DP