(no subject)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 13 21:40:42 PDT 2001

[Chomsky] "The terrorist attacks were major atrocities. In scale they may not reach the level of many others, for example, Clinton's bombing of the Sudan with no credible pretext, destroying half its pharmaceutical supplies and killing unknown numbers of people (no one knows, because the US blocked an inquiry at the UN and no one cares to pursue it)."

[Maria Tomchick, Jeff Gustafson, and Geov Parrish, "The Sudan Deception," eatthestate.org] "The plant itself produced 60% of Sudan's pharmaceuticals. It had also been cleared by the UN Sanctions Committee to send a shipment of antibiotics to help alleviate Iraqi suffering. Destroying the plant effectively condemns thousands, from Sudan to Iraq, to die. Furthermore, the US continues to withhold relief aid to the WFP and UNICEF in Sudan. But the US was willing to spend over $75 million dollars in its cruise missile attacks against Sudan and Afghanistan...

"Instead, it appears that the Sudanese factory was selected as a target, more or less randomly, as part of a "message" the U.S. wished to send, a message that singled out no particular country or group, but warned that all would be subject to random acts of U.S. violence when it suited American needs. That is, in itself, the very definition of terrorism..."

[iacenter.org] "Even though members of his own administration admitted the deceit of U.S. claims that the Al Shifa plant was making chemical weapons, Clinton has yet to pay compensation or even make an apology. It is estimated that 10,000 African children will die from easily treatable diseases like malaria because of the bombing and U.S.-inspired sanctions on Sudan ... Of course, the children don't have to die. If the U.S. government would simply pay to replace the medicine and rebuild the pharmaceutical plant that provided 90 percent of the most critical medicine in Sudan, the human crisis could be averted. But that's not what the banks and corporate interests put Clinton in office to do..."