pushing me rightward, Somerset crash puzzle

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Fri Sep 14 11:20:54 PDT 2001

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Charles Jannuzi wrote:

> Why should a bunch of fools shape anyone's politics?

No doubt because this argument gets awfully personal at times, and I get the impression that the center-left and hard-left groups on LBO enjoy antagonizing each other. At least some of them do. But I'm just the archive maintainer, and I don't know all of what happens behind the scenes, either. Suffice it to say that I believe that bowing out of a personally unpleasant argument is probably the most mature thing to happen on LBO-Talk in months.

> BTW, does anyone think there is something unexplained with the what happened
> to the plane in Somerset County, PA? I heard reports that wreckage was
> scattered 8 miles away and I have yet to see a clear image of the impact

Stuff tends to break off a plane which is going very fast - as in a dive. That seems to be the going explanation, and it sounds plausible. That said, I have no way to evaluate just how plausible it might be.

> crater. This leads me to believe that the plane may have exploded or was
> shot down (there are Air Guard stations in Pittsburgh and Martinsburg, WV).

Given that the incoming chair of the joint chiefs was just now raked over the coals for not putting together a credible air-defense response, I don't think that shot down is a plausible answer. Exploded perhaps.

Marco