Three Minutes of Silence Across Canada

Paul Wight p.wight at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 14 11:27:43 PDT 2001

I do think this is interesting and perhaps more that just "three minutes silence".

My own company, in the UK, had three minutes silence, signified by ringing the fire alarms at the start and end,and we were all officially "encouraged" to observe this (I made my excuses and left the meeting I was in).

Its *isn't* that I think this is hypocritical, eg after all where were the three minutes silence for all the other victims of terrorism in the past ten years. It's just that I think this is as much a political act, meant to garner support for whatever action Bush takes in the coming months.

For example, the act of organised mourning together, eg on Remembrance Sunday every year is as much political as sentimental. Also, the use of word "solidarity", (and requests to fly american flags), repeatedly in the UK press and on TV is rather strange. Sympathy of course, but solidarity, isn't that a strange choice of word? With what? This together with all the diplomatic arm twisting going on are meant to build a public agreement with whatever response is ultimately decided on.

I feel my personal sympathies with the victims are being manipulated, co-opted to build "solidarity" with the american state, and its response. And, since Bush has already said this means war, and not peace, I can be pretty sure I won't agree with the reponse. Paul

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Todd Archer Sent: 14 September 2001 17:40 To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Three Minutes of Silence Across Canada

I was just passing by a cafeteria here at Algonquin. The TVs there were tuned to the ceremonies on Parliament Hill. I came along just as our Governor-General, Adrienne Clarkson, requested three minutes of silence across the country "in solidarity with the victims". I stood silently (after all, death deserves to be acknowledged and the dead mourned (when possible) no matter what your political stripes), but I got to thinking that this silence is done as much to "let go" of the dead and signal a fresh start for the living. Christ, I sure hope that happens down South . . . . Good luck all, with your new start!

Todd