Three Minutes of Silence Across Canada

Todd Archer arch0005 at algonquincollege.com
Fri Sep 14 09:39:30 PDT 2001

I was just passing by a cafeteria here at Algonquin. The TVs there were tuned to the ceremonies on Parliament Hill. I came along just as our Governor-General, Adrienne Clarkson, requested three minutes of silence across the country "in solidarity with the victims". I stood silently (after all, death deserves to be acknowledged and the dead mourned (when possible) no matter what your political stripes), but I got to thinking that this silence is done as much to "let go" of the dead and signal a fresh start for the living. Christ, I sure hope that happens down South . . . . Good luck all, with your new start!

Todd