S29 - Tell Bush: NO to Racism and War (Re: America's Greens Rally to Flag, Run for Cover)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 14 17:04:42 PDT 2001

Hi, Thomas:

[I'm cc'ing this to Mac & Lou Paulsen, who may know more about your question than me.]

> > Doesn't make sense now to focus on the WB & the IMF
> > primarily.
>> However, we may very well organize a public
>> opposition to war. The
>> International Action Center has refocused the
>> planned demonstration,
>> addressing "the immediate danger posed by racism and
>> the grave threat
>> of a new war."
>-
>
>Yoshie, is the International Action Center the only
>ones calling for this shift of focus?

That's what I don't know. As I said, any info on this question will be appreciated. A sizable number of activists from Columbus, OH -- myself included -- will be going anyway, though, for the S29 anti-war demo. I just got this:

***** AP. 14 September 2001. IMF, World Bank Delay Annual Meetings.

WASHINGTON -- The International Monetary Fund and the World Bank are postponing their annual meetings later this month because of security concerns following the terrorist attacks against the United States, officials said Friday.

A formal announcement was expected Monday, said officials familiar with the discussions at the two institutions.

The meetings were set for Sept. 29-30. It is not certain when or if they will be rescheduled, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity....

..."Because of the tragedy, everybody is focused on how we can help the police forces to make sure they are deployed to the best benefits of national security," World Bank spokeswoman Caroline Anstey said. "We don't want to draw police away from other business."

After Tuesday's attacks on New York's World Trade Center and the Pentagon, Police Chief Charles Ramsey of the District of Columbia urged the IMF and World Bank to cancel the meetings.

City police had counting on colleagues from other jurisdictions, including New York City, to help them deal with what they said could be as many as 100,000 protesters at the meetings.

The AFL-CIO and Friends of the Earth announced on Friday that they were pulling out of the planned demonstrations.

"For our part, the AFL-CIO will not, in any event, continue our planning to lead a peaceful mass protest at the meeting, nor will we participate in any such demonstration," AFL-CIO President John Sweeney said in a statement.

Friends of the Earth President Brent Blackwelder said, "We have chosen to demonstrate our commitment to peace and justice by not demonstrating."

Organizers at Mobilization for Global Justice, one of the umbrella groups for the protests, said they planned to meet Saturday to determine whether to go ahead with the demonstrations. An announcement was expected Monday. *****

So, the AFL-CIO, Friends of the Earth, the International Rivers Network, the Ruckus Society, the Institute for Policy Studies, Jobs with Justice, Global Exchange, & the Rainforest Action Network have backed out. We'll see what Mobilization for Global Justice will do.

>I saw that they
>are calling these marches in both Washington and San
>Francisco. If that's the case, then I might
>cancel my trip to Washington and just stay here
>in San Francisco to demonstrate.

Those who can't go to D.C. for the anti-war demo should demonstrate at home, but those who can should go.

Yoshie