Emergency Brake

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Fri Sep 14 20:15:14 PDT 2001

In what seems to be a former life, I remember playing my class a video from the Gulf War, from a smart bomb about to slam into some hapless Iraqi bunker. The dread one felt while watching the thing was that you knew, you just knew, that this wasn't going to be the end; the abyss of the 21st century was opening up underneath one's feet. But now another set of smart bombs have slammed into the First World, the dialectical and utterly predictable recoil of the first catastrophe. All my aesthetic antennae tell me, we're entering some sort of freezing Ice Age, administered by a bunch of despicable and unelected petro-oligarchs, as the Second World zone otherwise known as the USA descends into savage combat with other, lesser petro-oligarchies -- chasing its own inverted shadow, as Zizek would say.

I hope I'm wrong, though the antennae have never been wrong before. In any case, my own small, feeble attempt at slamming on what Walter Benjamin called the emergency brakes of history (check out the fascinating background info by Aijiz Ahmad):

http://www.efn.org/~dredmond/groundzero.html

I'll be adding stuff to this as time goes on.

-- Dennis