Bush declared a state of National Emergency

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at tao.ca
Fri Sep 14 20:59:43 PDT 2001

(forwarded)

So, in case folks don't know (cause this seems to be getting buried) - Bush declared a state of National Emergency in the US about 2 or 3 hours ago.... here is a short piece that i found online about what that means sortof.... i think it suspends civil liberties should the government choose to enact it in that way..... its interesting anyhow that he should choose to declare a state of emergency 3 days later....

I have also attached here (below) the actual statement of order declaring this state of emergency....

A STATE OF NATIONAL EMERGENCY Since the advent of changes which took place during the Reagan regime, America has been a presidential directive away from a civil security state of emergency which, if ever enacted, could create a constitutional crisis equal in severity to the American Civil War.

A national state of emergency can be declared by a concurrent resolution of both houses of Congress or by the President in the case of natural disasters, nuclear war, a massive mobilization in anticipation of an enemy attack on U.S. territory, or domestic civil unrest.

A disturbing shift in policy occurred during the Reagan years which could have profound consequences with respect to civil liberties. Whereas civil defense planning in the past had focused on disaster relief, the national security focus of the Reagan administration meant implementing new ways to expand police powers in times of nuclear war, domestic unrest, or civil disorder.

Bending under pressure brought by the Reagan Administration, Congress gave the president and his executive agencies sweeping emergency powers.

President Bush declares national emergency

- - - - - - - - - - - - The Associated Press

Sept. 14, 2001 |

Text of President Bush's message to Congress on Friday declaring a national emergency.

Pursuant to section 201 of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1621), I hereby report that I have exercised my authority to declare a national emergency by reason of the terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center, New York, New York, and the Pentagon, and the continuing and immediate threat of further attacks on the United States. A copy of my proclamation is attached.

Further, I have authorized, pursuant to section 12302 of title 10, United States Code, the Secretary of Defense, and the Secretary of Transportation with respect to the Coast Guard, when it is not operating as a service within the Department of the Navy, to order to active duty units and individual members not assigned to units of the Ready Reserve to perform such missions the Secretary of Defense may determine necessary. The deployment of United States forces to conduct operational missions in connection with the World Trade Center and Pentagon attacks necessitates this action. A copy of my Executive Order implementing this action is attached.

------------------------------------------- Macdonald Stainsby Rad-Green List: Radical anti-capitalist environmental discussion. http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/listinfo/rad-green ---- Leninist-International: Building bridges in the tradition of V.I. Lenin. http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/listinfo/leninist-international ---- In the contradiction lies the hope.

--Bertholt Brecht