Raging Leo

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 03:11:32 PDT 2001

In message <c9.156a69e4.28d27557 at aol.com>, LeoCasey at aol.com writes
> Sitting pretty in complete comfort and safety in the original world
>imperial power, he can decide which innocent human lives are expendable on his
>ideological balance sheet of the right to strike "audacious!
> blo
>ws" against the "imperialist heartland."

Leo forgets that Britain was subject to a bombing campaign by the provisional IRA for nearly thirty years, the greater part of my life. So I am well used to the sanctimonious bleating that suspends all responsibility for imperialism's provocation of the response in the first place. I never used the Birmingham pub bombings or the destruction of the Baltic exchange as an excuse to minimise the wrongs that Britain did to Ireland, nor to join in the chauvinistic campaign against the republican movement. Some of those who planted bombs in London in the 1970s now sit in the Northern Ireland assembly.

But I am assuming that Leo won't be opening this post, unless of course he takes pleasure in the affectation of rage and depression.

If I'm wrong, answer this Leo: would you oppose a military campaign against Afghanistan, given the likelihood of civilian deaths? -- James Heartfield