Shoot down on sight... horrifying future air travel scenario

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Thu Sep 13 13:54:00 PDT 2001

Shoot down on sight... horrifying future air travel scenario

Anyone discussing anywhere the implications of these hijackings for air travel?

Isn't a possible response of any national defence/government to destroy any future hijacked aircraft to prevent them becoming suicide weapons? We've now seen the casualties and damage that aircraft of moderate sizes can do in urban areas in worst case scenarios ...

So we have a wonderful prospect: any hijacking potentially becomes an immediate government death sentence.

One can have scenarios where execution might not be immediate - give instructions to land at military bases or remote airstrips where little damage can be done by crashing an aircraft, but if not obeyed and if the aircraft is in the vicinity of any major surface installations - boom.

Suddenly flying has become a lot more lethal. Whereas before a hijack was dangerous, but mostly leaving a good chance of survival, now any breach of security could mean summary execution of the passengers and crew.

Absolutely spiffing :-(

This is in the context that there are suspicions that the 4th aeroplane was shot down by the US military over Ohio... any more light on that?

This was an event affecting things worldwide. We are under the approaches to Heathrow and the transatlantic air routes here in central England. It was mid/later afternoon local time that it became clear what was happening in the USA. By evening and nightfall there were engine sounds above the clouds which were not the normal civilian traffic - a lot of tankers from nearby Brize Norton in evidence, and other engines which I suspect were interceptors. That is the sort of time that aircraft turned back over the Atlantic, before they reached the point of no return, would have got back into UK airspace.

Later on the long hauls from the various USA and Canada origins would have been arriving after their 6-12 hour flights, and one could hear on a few occassions what sounded like interceptor engines at lower altitudes.

Probably these US originating aircraft would have been of most concern.

Disturbing thoughts arise about aircraft on landing approach being tailed in by armed interceptors, just in case ...

It is quite reasonable to suppose that the RAF had standing patrols, probably ranging well into the Atlantic, just in case anything had started straying where it shouldn't as it entered European airspace. These are densely urbanised countries - the response time to prevent Canary Wharf becoming a second WTC is very short indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if there were shoot down orders if any aircraft flying in from the USA had made any untoward moves.

What did people in N.America observe of air defence mobilisation?

I bet that standing air patrols to cover civilian aircraft will now become a permanent feature of UK air defence, given how much shorter the time to respond is over densely populated areas compared to radar detection of intruders. I bet the same goes for other countries including the USA around major urban areas.

I wonder if we will ever be told about air defence policies?