Three Minutes of Silence in Canada

Todd Archer arch0005 at algonquincollege.com
Sat Sep 15 07:49:59 PDT 2001

Took our whippet puppy out for a walk this morning, and Goddamn!, wouldn't you know it! In just about every window, or on gates to backyards, there are these mini-posters: a great big American flag front and center, an itty-bitty Canadian flag in the lower left corner, and "SOLIDARITY" in big bold letters across the bottom. The local working-class right-wing rag, The Ottawa Sun, put it out (just like it publishes mini-posters for hockey games! Go, Sens, Go!). This frightens me.

Y'know, sympathy for those in distress, no matter who they are, what they've done in the past, or might do in the future is a good emotion and a good reason for helping such a person out: no human being deserves distress, no matter WHAT the magnitude, and he or she must be aided in that moment; after all, it's big, nasty, fundamentally uncaring universe out there (at least Lovecraft says so, and I tend to believe him, although not for the same reasons !{)> ), and we humans should stick together, if only for that reason.

Todd

BTW: isn't it a point of general agreement on the Left that the masses/people in general ultimately need to learn for THEMSELVES how to handle their own affairs and exercise their own power over themselves, rather than depending on an AUTHORITY to just tell them what to do and expect them to hop to it? Who is supposed to hold the reins of power, anyway?