Breaking down national unity

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sat Sep 15 07:56:26 PDT 2001

In this context, the prospect of a "world war on terrorism"
>means a new institutional shape in world politics.

Yes, a lynch mob. Carl

I pointed out a few days ago that all military options would be recognized as more costly and difficult, and less beneficial, the more seriously they are considered.

What I'm seeing from elite quarters is a lot of caution flags as to the difficulty of eradicating OBL's network, the dubiousness of open-ended military commitments, etc. In stark contrast to the pundits, of course.

Less will come of this than anything thinks, I predict, unless (until?) there are more incidents. The public outrage can always drive the Gov to more rash responses.

mbs