More Than What Nader Got (was Re: Vote.com depressing outcomes)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Sep 16 02:57:43 PDT 2001

Marta says:

>To me this 4% showing against the war mongers is more disheartening
>than the entire past week of events.

It's a downer, but 4% is _more_ than what Ralph Nader got -- remember? 4% is a good enough point of departure for anti-war organizers -- more promising than the Green Party efforts in presidential election. The question is how to mobilize that 4% & expand from there.

>Since I'm certain that Gallup
>did not only poll the ruling class, a majority of the 92% in favor of
>retaliation are likely working class Americans. So while some
>subscribers on this list may think that the working class is going to
>create some vital change in the world, that seems a more distant hope
>than ever in the USA.

Revolution must have seemed a distant hope at the beginning of the First World War, and then look what happened. A protracted large-scale war of the kind that appears to be in the works, with ground troops and all, has a potential to destabilize many regimes, unlike a brief cruise-missile strike from afar. It's a danger, but also an opportunity, for anyone who seeks to bring about radical social change, be it for the left or the right.

Even in the USA, once the casualties from the war (that is being planned now) surpass the casualties from the WTC bombings, rethinking will become widespread.

Until then, stay cool, keep your wits together, & work patiently & persistently.

In solidarity,

Yoshie