DeLay advises caution

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sun Sep 16 08:54:51 PDT 2001

[when the Hammer talks like this, we are through the looking glass.]

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/16/international/16INTE.html

New York Times September 16, 2001 THE INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES

Lawmakers See Need to Loosen Rules on C.I.A. By JAMES RISEN

WASHINGTON, Sept. 15 — The Congressional leaders who oversee the nation's intelligence system have concluded that America's spy agencies should be allowed to combat terrorism with more aggressive tactics, including the hiring of unsavory foreign agents. [clip]

But one influential lawmaker warned that proposals to unleash intelligence agencies should be carefully considered.

Representative Tom DeLay of Texas, the majority whip, said that while the C.I.A. should beef up its human intelligence gathering ability, officials should not move rashly to lift the ban on assassinations.

The nation is understandably "a little panicky," Mr. DeLay said. But he added, "I think we need to be very clearheaded, very deliberative, about where we're headed." [end clip]

Peter