Hawks and Doves [was DeLay advises caution]

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun Sep 16 16:01:00 PDT 2001

At 16/09/01 10:54 -0500, Peter wrote:
>But one influential lawmaker warned that proposals to unleash intelligence
>agencies should be carefully considered.
>
>Representative Tom DeLay of Texas, the majority whip, said that while the
>C.I.A. should beef up its human intelligence gathering ability, officials
>should not move rashly to lift the ban on assassinations.
>
>The nation is understandably "a little panicky," Mr. DeLay said. But he
>added, "I think we need to be very clearheaded, very deliberative, about
>where we're headed."

When the pest control capitalist (if I remember correctly his business activities) speaks like this you realise that every ideology at times has to intersect with reality.

There is in fact everything to play for. Every day aggressive action is postponed is a gain for global peace and justice.

THe following Observer article "Whispering hawks and doves test nerve", describes how under the surface of the massive unity between Britain and the USA on this issue, there is crucial skirmishing between hawks and doves.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4258173,00.html

In fact CNN's Europe edition today showed a number of Congress leaders using coded words signalling caution. While a majority seemed to back secret lifting of the public renunciation of assassination, Gephard emphasised in folksy language, we need a posse not a lynch mob. One coded concept is that action must be effective to be justified. Another, from Carl Levin is that for effective action diplomacy is essential. It is extemely important that any action taken has the support of some muslim states at least. Otherwise they would appear to be creating a war between the west and islam. Even Richard Warner said that the US would act when it is absolutely certain it is time to act. John Kerry said there is no quick fix.

Yes US soldiers will probably go into action, but US leaders seem to realise now they would be very foolish to ignore the concerns of many other nations. Keep u the pressure for peace and justice!

Chris Burford