Go after OBL's $$$$

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 16 05:55:40 PDT 2001

/ dave / wrote:

> I just heard on Diane Rhem's show on NPR tonight that the authorities
> are looking into a suspicious transaction on the Japanese stock exchange
> on Tuesday which involved an extremely large number of industry-specific
> shares that were sold short on Tuesday morning and then cashed out
> subsequent to the precipitous drop of the stocks after the WTC disaster.

Just because an event is hugely improbable does not mean that it isn't probable. Possibly someone else can phrase this more elegantly. If the probability of Event X is (say) 1 out of 15 billion, and you have a universe of events numbered 100 trillion, then Event X is not only probable but virtually certain. It would be nearly impossible for no strange events to have occurred on Tuesday morning. Several hundred thousand wildly improbable events _certainly_ are occuring right now! And if something dramatic happens this afternoon, several thousand of those events will be trumpeted as having a connection with that dramatic event.

Carrol