Trees sowed in May bear rotten September fruit

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 16 20:13:13 PDT 2001

Hi Dave

I've been doing searches about Powell giving $43 million to the Taliban regime. The only thing I found is the opposite of the claim in the LA Times article. This year 2000 report says on the State Dept's website claims an increase in poppy seed cultivation. Can anyone independantly confirm Mr. Scheer's claims? I've been getting emails questioning it's validity....

http://www.state.gov/www/regions/sa/facts_taliban_drugs.html

The Explosion Of Poppy Cultivation Under The Taliban

In 1992-93, Afghanistan's poppy cultivation stood at about 20,000 hectares, mostly in Nangarhar province, which is located between Pakistan's North West Frontier province and Kabul in Afghanistan.

Poppy then began to invade Helmand province where it has increased 800 percent since 1993.

Helmand borders on Qandahar province, the Taliban's power base, and harbors traditional smuggling routes to Pakistan and Iran.

Helmand also contains the HAVA irrigation system built by the United States Agency for International Development in the 1950's. This irrigated area has been modern Afghanistan's breadbasket.

Massive poppy cultivation in Helmand has developed since the Taliban took control of the area, and with the full knowledge of Taliban authorities.

The irrigation system minimizes the effects of drought and supports high-yielding opium poppy from year to year.

Poppy cultivation overall for Afghanistan has climbed from 41,720 hectares in 1998 to 64,510 hectares in 2000, mainly as a result of increases in Helmand. Taliban-controlled Helmand province alone now accounts for 39 percent of the world's illicit opium.

http://www.robertscheer.com/1_natcolumn/01_columns/052201.htm

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com

__________________________________________________ Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help? Donate cash, emergency relief information http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/