Vote.com depressing outcomes

Christopher Susi chris at susi.net
Sun Sep 16 21:30:47 PDT 2001

It's speculation, albeit a strong one. Suppose every person knows 250 unique people, and every one of those people know another 250 unique people (counting friends, family, people you work with, people you went to school with, etc). If 5,000 people die that's 312 million that the wake extends out to. Yes, I know there's a lot of overlap, I'm doing simple math to make a point. But if it takes a proverbial 6 degrees of seperation to locate just one person on earth, how many degree's do you have to go to locate one out of 5,000?

I felt fairly far removed from the WTC being in a suburb of Chicago, and one co-worker lost both sister and mother in law (who died of a fatal heart attack when she heard the news). Another 20 people in sister corporations remain unaccounted for. I suspect at least a handfull of people on this list know people who were lost - which means we all know someone who lost someone.