Go after OBL's $$$$

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 01:15:36 PDT 2001

--- kelley <kwalker2 at gte.net> wrote: > Hey dd! whatchya think about this idear? although i'm not a fan of the
> idea that bin laden is behind this....

Nevertheless, he's been on the global shit list for some time, so anyone knowingly dealing in his money is by that token a criminal.

> how would such a
> thing be accomplished?

by an effort of the world's private banks to do the right thing instead of grubbing after money; ie, it couldn't.

>he's on the board at Fortune --he can only be
> talking partly outta his ass, right?

Nah, it makes a lot of sense. I'm being cynical. The positive is that if the bin Laden connection is used as a wedge to get some sensible money-laundering controls put in place in a couple of key financial centres, there are an awful lot more extremely unpleasant people who could also be caught.

Interestingly, of course, if ObL is as devout a Muslim as he is portrayed, his money will only be held in non-usurious sharia-compliant banks. Or, more likely, in gold bullion.

dd

===== ... in countries which do not enjoy Mediterranean sunshine idleness is more difficult, and a great public propaganda will be required to inaugurate it. -- Bertrand Russell