(no subject)

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon Sep 17 06:05:15 PDT 2001

The factual veracity of Chomsky's remarks is beside the point. Offering facts implies a political context. The argument is really about the implied political context. We could acknowledge that the U.S. created OBL, or that "worse" things (whatever that means) have happened to others with the complicity of the U.S., but in the immediate wake of *this* atrocity such observations are offensive. They are perceived as a deliberate distraction from the crime in question, and in this way an insult to those in grief or frightened. There is also an implied political agenda -- we should campaign against further U.S. depredations in the world, again a distraction from any sort of retaliation, just or unjust. This is insulting too, like setting up a picket line at a funeral. Worst of all is all talk of this as some kind of blow against imperialism that was misguided or ill-conceived. This ridiculous parody of 'left' analysis assigns a wholly-undeserved status to OBL and/or whomever is responsible for 9/11/02. If a tornado struck the WTC, would we call that a 'blow against imperlaism"?

In a situation like this, it is inevitable that prudence is defined, at least for a while, as giving those in authority the benefit of the doubt. In this kind of breach, there appears to be no time for extended debate and analysis. Nor is there any real time for politics. That will change in a few weeks. Nothing the left does is going to stop what the U.S. Gov does this month. But what the left does now might have a bearing on how its message is received in coming months.

There is already plenty of doubt surfacing about the value of assorted military options. Today there is a near-perfect column, for instance, by no less than Bob Novak, the prince of darkness. (The imperfection is blaming the CIA's failure on "years of liberal tinkering.") I also see repeated preachments against chauvinism within the U.S. towards Muslims or Arabs. A little hope lets you see more possibilities, not fewer.

mbs

Let's review what Chomsky actually wrote:

"The terrorist attacks were major atrocities. In scale they may not reach the level of many others..."

We'll go slowly here, pal. "Major atrocities." Got that?

Now -- "In scale" -- he means the total number of dead people -- "they may not reach the level of many others." Are you contending that no other atrocity killed more people?

He offers an example of an incident the effects of which you continue to discount, and then says that there are "much worse cases, which easily come to mind."

Again, do you dispute that? Or don't examples from the Clinton Administration alone easily come to your mind? Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine, Serbia, Somalia, Timor, Turkey, Palestine, Colombia...?

"But that this was a horrendous crime is not in doubt," says Chomsky. "It is likely to prove to be a crushing blow to Palestinians and other poor and oppressed people."

I can understand why you're uncomfortable, since you want to defend Clinton's cruise missiles and the US/NATO war. How do you feel about the coming Bush War?

Chomsky helps you get your thoughts together by quoting Robert Fisk:

"This is not the war of democracy versus terror that the world will be asked to believe in the coming days. It is also about American missiles smashing into Palestinian homes and US helicopters firing missiles into a Lebanese ambulance in 1996 and American shells crashing into a village called Qana and about a Lebanese militia - paid and uniformed by America's Israeli ally - hacking and raping and murdering their way through refugee camps."

Regards, CGE

PS: What makes you think I'm Caucasian? Doing some of your own racial profiling, are you?